Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A couple of simple goals...

About 4 months ago, I decided to set two simple goals. One was to deadlift 300lbs with no assistance (no straps, belt or chalk) and the other was to one-hand overhead press half my bodyweight (77.5lbs).

These simple goals were what I directed my training towards. Last week, I deadlifted 300lbs and overhead pressed 65lbs with one hand. I'm only 12.5lbs away from the half-bodyweight press!

In training to achieve these two simple goals, a number of other things have happened:

My endurance has vastly improved.
My pullup and grip strength has increased.
I can sprint faster, plus jump higher and farther.
My shoulders are much more stable and still injury free.
My hamstrings are more flexible and stronger when stretched.
My abs are stronger and more solid all the way from hip to hip.
I have added about 3lbs of muscle without changing my diet.

There are quite a few others I could add to the list but I think I've made my point...

As you can see, by just having two simple goals you can improve in many more ways as a byproduct of your dedicated training. It is also important to note that I took four backoff weeks for recovery and injury prevention (one at the end of each month). This means I trained for 12 weeks instead of the full 16. You see, there is even room to relax and have some fun : )

Try whittling down your list of goals to the few that really matter and see how much more you'll achieve!

Do.

No comments:

Enter The Kettlebell
Start your Hardstyle kettlebell training with ETK!
Power to the People - Russian Strength Secrets
PTTP Puts you on the path to Deadlift Dominance!