Thursday, May 08, 2008

Footwork...

Two weeks ago, I posted a link to an article "You Walk Wrong" , on the way shoes can have a negative effect on your body. I realized after reading the article, that I may train barefoot but had developed the habit of wearing sandals at home. The ones I was wearing had a sneaker style sole, thicker at the heel than in the forefoot. The day I posted the article, I stopped wearing them at home, opting for either socks or bare feet.

In only 15 days I have noticed a pronounced difference in how stable I feel when standing or moving, even when in shoes. I have also noticed an increase in strength and resilience on the outside edges of both feet, especially apparent when I am doing barefoot side planks. These changes can only be ascribed to the additional hours a day spent without shoes. As I work from home when not training, it adds up to at least 5 hours a day.

As the article stated, our feet have spent millions of years evolving and only several hundred adapting to shoes. I encourage everyone to look for places in your life where you have the option of going barefoot, and try it for a month. I think you will be very surprised! Make sure to read the article again too.

No comments:

Enter The Kettlebell
Start your Hardstyle kettlebell training with ETK!
Power to the People - Russian Strength Secrets
PTTP Puts you on the path to Deadlift Dominance!