Monday, August 24, 2009

A Canadian RKC in Scotland...

This June, my Dad and I went to Glasgow Scotland to visit my Gran and attend my cousin's wedding. I was planning on teaching my Dad a new workout and hoping to be able to get him started on kettlebells.

Where to get a couple bells, I thought? My first instinct was to go to the RKC Instructors page. I looked up instructors in Glasgow and found Dr. Vadim Kolganov (www.dynamosambo.co.uk). Vadim is a former Moscow Champion Sambo competitor and has been competing in Sambo since 1980. He was the 2006 British Sambo Champion and continues to compete to this day! Recently, he was the guest of Dr. Mark Cheng at Kettlebells Los Angeles.

Click here to read about Vadim's visit on Mark's KBLA blog.

I sent Vadim an email asking if I may rent a couple kettlebells for my week in Glasgow. He responded the next day saying he would lend me some. This made me very happy as now my Dad would get to experience the power of the bells!

I met Vadim at a gas station where we transferred the bells from his car to mine. He very kindly met me halfway, shortening my absence from dinner at my Uncle's and thus cutting my Gran's tight-lipped disapproval in half : ) Phew!


The best part was that I was able to begin teaching my Dad in the Hardstyle system! My Dad was my very first fitness influence, up every morning at 5:30 or earlier, running, cycling, rowing or lifting weights. It is because of him that I have such a belief in the positive benefits of physical training. I saw firsthand how his being strong and in-shape projected a great aura of confidence. Now, in his 60s, my Dad is the perfect candidate for the brilliantly scaleable RKC system. Currently, he's working on a strength-program of Deadlifts and Pushups with Wall-Squats, Planks and Good Mornings as his teaching drills. When he arrives in Vancouver in September, he'll have all the patterns ready to get Swinging and Pressing! I am a very happy son : )

I am also very happy to belong to the RKC community, where we all understand each other's healthy obsession with kettlebells and Hardstyle training.

Thanks again, Vadim!




No comments:

Enter The Kettlebell
Start your Hardstyle kettlebell training with ETK!
Power to the People - Russian Strength Secrets
PTTP Puts you on the path to Deadlift Dominance!